Interested in booking Dr. Tara for a speaking engagement?
Those who know my work know that I am passionate about empowering parents, moms, teens and tweens. I am a coach and mentor for young entrepreneurs and mompreneurs. I can be available to give presentations in schools, community organizations and health and wellness settings.
If you’re interested in booking for a parent presentation, faculty/PTA meeting, community event or student assembly, please contact me.
How will the workshops/courses help you?
It is now well established that today’s adolescent girls are more stressed out than ever before. Within just 10 years, the rate of teen depression has doubled. Major concerns include: Anxiety, Poor Body Image and Low Self-Esteem, Eating Disorders, Weight Concerns, and Bullying/Dating Violence. Modern issues are also at play—over-scheduling, poor lifestyle habits, lack of sleep, and digital consumption—which can disrupt important bodily rhythms needed to keep girls in balance.
Parents can play a key role as their daughters transition through adolescence as role models for self-care. In addition, both mothers and daughters are likely experiencing hormonal fluctuations with dueling peri-menopause and pubertal symptoms, adding to an interesting mix of moodiness and low frustration tolerance. Welcome to raising teenage girls!
Sample Speaking Topics Include:
Teens In Balance® Series
Today’s adolescents are more stressed out than previous generations of teenagers even though we know so much more about human development, health prevention, and parenting strategies. Indeed, parents are more in-tune than ever. Yet today’s tweens and teens feel pressure from so many directions at earlier ages. The talk can be customized for the school or organization by topic: the teen brain, digital consumption and social media, stress, peer relationships, risky behaviors, and more. The talks will help give parents knowledge about the pressures of tween culture and some practical tools to use right away. Dr. Tara will discuss how girls and boys experience today’s tween culture differently and the unique risk factors. Not only that, understanding a bit about the “neuroplasticity” of the brain (the amazing ability to form new neural connections) will make it clear why managing stress, having effective coping skills, and preventing teenage drinking and other risky behaviors is so critical.
Take Away. Parents will come away from this workshop feeling much better about parenting teenagers!
Get Ready for Tweendom
This talk focuses on current challenges for raising girls in today’s culture related to gender roles, beauty ideals and confidence. Parents of 5th & 6th graders.
- Understanding own core values about women/girls.
- Getting a grip on own story as a girl and potential fears, beliefs, attitudes and behaviors that may creep into your current parenting.
- Dealing with girl drama in friendship groups that can develop in the early school years and persist throughout childhood (e.g. Dealing with “fat talk” and relational bullying).
- Media literacy in the home and boundaries with technology/media.
- Creating a home environment that promotes holistic health rooted in a foundation of a balanced lifestyle and inner strength rather than fitting in/external influences.
Helping Our Girls Become Confident Teens
- For Moms of girls in middle school transitioning to high school.
- Puberty is not a one-time discussion. How to have open communication about changing bodies.
- Understand the massive changes about to take place in the adolescent brain and how that impacts everything.
- Dealing with body image and self-confidence (and how your confidence impacts her confidence).
- Anticipating challenges with shifting social circles in adolescence and understanding “hook-up” culture.
- How to handle moods and the first time she says she hates you.
- Why adolescence doesn’t have to be a crisis.
* * *